Welcome bonuses are offered by almost any casino. Their purpose is simple - to attract new players. In the gambling lingo you may discover names such as Welcome Bonus, 1st Deposit Bonus, Sign-Up Bonus etc. These bonuses differ from each other, in this article we divide and analyze the bonuses and draw attention to some features worth mentioning.
1) Match bonuses – they are sort of a gift to your first deposit. Usually they are calculated as a percentual part of the deposit, less often they are offered as a fixed cost.
- One casino may offer a 100% Match Bonus (which is very typical) for your first deposit. If you deposit 100€, you will get an additional 100€. If another casino offered a fixed 200€ bonus to any first deposit higher than 100€, it is obvious this bonus is better than 100% Match Bonus if you want to deposit just 100€. However if you wanted to deposit 500€, the first casino would give you 500€ while the second casino would still give you just 200€.
Cashable bonus – this type of bonus can be withdrawn after meeting the predefined requirements. These requirements are usually called "Wagering Requirements (WR)" or "rollover" which is explained below.
- First deposit is 100 €, you will get another 100 € as a Match (Cashable) bonus, so in total you now have 200 €. After meeting the wagering requirements, you may have e.g. 300 € on your account - and you can withdraw the full amount.
Sticky bonus – contrary to the Cashable Bonus which can be withdrawn at a specific moment, Stick Bonus cannot be withdrawn. This type of bonus can be used for playing only.
- First deposit is 100€, you get another 100€ as a Match (Sticky) bonus, so in total you have 200€. Even though you gathered e.g. 300€ after some time, you cannot withdraw everything. The Sticky Bonus of 100€ must be left on the account.
2) No Deposit bonuses – this type of bonus doesn't require any deposit from the player. However, there are a few catches which are clearly explained in the article about No Deposit bonuses.
Casino offers differ from each other so it is always important to study the specific terms and conditions. The most common terms used in bonus characteristics are explained below. These terms can often be more important for bonus preferability rather the actual bonus amount blinking at you from the casino banners.
Rollover or wagering requirements (WR) – these terms specify how many times the bonus value has to be bet before it can be withdrawn.
- Your first deposit is 100€ and you get 100€ as a Welcome Bonus. In total you have 200€ which you can play with. However, the terms specify that before you can withdraw the bonus, you must wager it 20 times. In your case, you must have bets of at least 2000€. Sometimes you have to bet a multiple of the bonus value (here is it 100€), sometimes a multiple of the bonus plus first deposit value (here it is 200€). Therefore it is important to study the bonus conditions.
Games limitations – casino will not always allow you to play all games using the bonus money. To be more specific, you may play all games but the bets in some of them may not count towards the wagering requirements. The list of "allowed" and "forbidden" games can always be found in the casino terms and conditions.
Mandatory deposit before withdrawal – this is common in the case of No Deposit bonuses. This rule says that you may not withdraw money from your account until you make at least one deposit.
Maximal win amount – casinos often specify to what excent can the bonus be played with
- Let's say you've won 1000 € but because the maximal win amount is set to 500 €, you will have to settle with just this amount.
Time limit – time limit in the casino terms specifies how long you can deal with the bonus. Sometimes it can be days, sometimes hours - depends on each individual casino.
As you can see, there are many welcome bonuses available and often they carry some catches with theme. Therefore it is important to pay special attention to the terms of bonus utilization and only after you've studied them in detail, you can evaluate the profitability of the bonus.